Matt Sewell’s follow-up to the mega-hit Dinosaurs is a beautifully-illustrated large format look at the amazing beasts that time forgot – from the relatively well known, such as the sabre-toothed tiger and woolly mammoth, to the obscure monsters that walked the earth millions of years ago – many now forgotten. New findings are being made every year, and research is showing us exactly how these beasts looked and how they lived.
Creatures illustrated and described include:
- Sabre tooth tigers and woolly mammoths
- Glyptodon – an armadillo as big as a VW Beetle car
- Megalodon – a monster 60 foot (18m) shark
- Water King penguin – a red and grey penguin the size of a man
- Ornimegalonyx – a huge Cuban flightless owl, the largest owl that ever existed, at over 3 feet (1m) tall
- Deinotherium – a strange-looking and huge, elephant-like creature with tusks positioned on its lower jaw and curved, facing downwards
- Short-nosed bear – a massive fearsome bear that kept North America human free
- Megatherium – the giant sloth, as large as a modern elephant
Less celebrated than the dinosaurs, the range of beasts is equally impressive, every one a scary, amazing creature that actually stalked the planet. Like the dinosaurs, these beasts are awe-inspiring in their variety, with amazing details not seen on animals today and in a wide variety of furs, feathers and colours, making for a stunning collection of illustrations.