What do you know about the our planet’s strangest extinct creatures?
Matt Sewell’s follow-up to the mega-hit Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures is a beautifully-illustrated large format look at the amazing beasts that time forgot – from the well-known, such as the sabre-toothed tiger and woolly mammoth, to more obscure monsters that walked the earth millions of years ago.
Organized chronologically, the creatures illustrated and described include:
Sabre tooth tigers and woolly mammoths
- Glyptodon – the armadillo as big as a VW Beetle car
- Megalodon – the monster 60 foot (18m) shark
- Water King penguin – the red and grey penguin the size of a man
- Ornimegalonyx – the largest owl that ever existed
- Deinotherium – the huge, elephant-like creature with tusks positioned on its lower jaw and curved, facing downwards
- Short-nosed bear – the massive fearsome bear that kept North America human-free
- Aurochs – the striped wild bull with huge horns
- Megatherium – the giant sloth that was as large as a modern elephant
Less celebrated than the dinosaurs, these beasts are equally impressive. Enjoy Matt Sewell’s characteristic watercolour illustrations and witty, fascinating descriptions of these amazing creatures that once did stalk the planet.
'We ... love using it to learn ... It has such an incredible range of animals that it can be used again and again.'
‘Beautifully produced … Clean, uncluttered pages featuring illustrations which make it clear that the beast is the star of the show, simple statistic boxes and witty text full of facts which makes it feel as though the author is just having a lovely chat with you in your home make this book a sure-fire winner with its readers. Fascinating!’